Monday, August 14, 2006

Mindy on Pride

Mindy posted this as a comment. I (Jeff) thought it deserved its own post:

I have thought much about pride as I have been studying the Book of Mormon this summer. There are three main concepts that I have gained a better testimony of through my studies.

First, we live in a materialistic society, where everyone wants everything right now. The car, the house, the clothes, the shoes, the tan. In reading the Book of Mormon it is apparent that pride is the cause of much sorrow and sin. I also noticed the common reference to costly apparel. My family knows how I have struggled with materialism over the years. Since college I have been fighting my natural man tendencies to want everything right now. As I have been fighting these tendencies and have been subsidizing my collection of "things" whether it be clothes, shoes, purses, or tanning sessions I have noticed a change. I think less of myself and more about what I could do for others. I spend less of my time on me. I still struggle at times, but I am getting better. Just yesterday a girl friend of mine showed me some jeans she just "had to have" that were $230. I wanted to strangle her! Does she realize what she's doing to her spirit?! Anyway, in the meantime I'm just going to keep doing my best. Besides, I'm proud to be a Target shopper and not a Nordstrom shopper!!

Second, I have a testimony that contention begins with pride. No matter how strong my testimony is or how strong I am in the church I have the ugly habit of losing my temper, usually with siblings. I could never be wrong because I'm the oldest child, right? Wrong! I hate being wrong and I always feel that my opinion matters and should be heard. This ugly habit has gotten me into trouble with my family and takes the spirit away from the home. One of my goals this summer was to not offend and not be offended. I still have a long way to go, but at least I recognize that it all begins with pride.

Third, when we are prideful we do not allow our will to conform to our Heavenly Father's will. President Benson said, "Pride is characterized by 'What do I want out of life?' rather than by 'What would God have me do with my life?' It is self-will as opposed to God’s will. It is the fear of man over the fear of God.

"Humility responds to God’s will—to the fear of His judgments and the needs of those around us. To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."

As I have grown these past four years and out of all the doctrines and principles that I have learned I have gained the strongest testimony of this concept. To be happy, we must conform our will to our Heavenly Father's. Often we want Him to conform, but it cannot be so, it should not be so. Usually we don't see the end from the beginning once we do conform, but that when faith must kick in. In order to conform we must be humble. Humility is a pre-requisite to knowing our Heavenly Father's will, plan, and desires for us. Time and patience also need to take part in knowing these things. I have a testimony that we can know our Father's will for us.

It is a great blessing that the Book of Mormon stresses the importance of stripping ourselves of pride. Because if we are prideful we will never have the blessing of living together forever.

No comments: