Tuesday, August 08, 2006

So . . . here's the thing . . .


The Book of Mormon is "the keystone of our religion" (Book of Mormon, introduction). I have always taken that comment to mean it is the keystone of the LDS church . . . which is true. But it occurred to me that the Book of Mormon is also the keystone of my personal religiosity. From it I gain not only truth but also religious feeling -- spirituality. It supports my testimony. On it leans my belief in the many doctrines contained in the book. I read it to learn, but I also read it to feel closer to God.

I have often wanted to establish a pattern of writing down my thoughts as I read the Book of Mormon, not out of a delusion that my thoughts are wiser or more accurate than those who have already commented. Instead, I wanted to write down my thoughts (1) because I think better and more deeply by writing (if you understand that, you understand me) and (2) to provoke family and close friends to share their thoughts on the same subjects.

So . . . here's the thing . . .

I will post my thoughts on various parts and aspects of the Book of Mormon. You can comment on my posts. And you can create posts of your own. Five words or five paragraphs, the length and depth of comments are up to you. The topic is generally the Book of Mormon, but we can wander into related topics. The point is to ponder the scriptures more deeply and help each other in the process.

One hint to better comprehension: the most recent posts are at the top. Therefore, to understand a series of posts, it is best to scroll down to the first in the series and work your way back up.

E-mail me or call if you have any questions or need help with the technology.

No comments: